I want to wish everyone reading this a VERY Happy New Year. I hope you all had the most wonderful time over Christmas and are excited to embark on a new year. I had a lovely chilled Christmas in Norfolk with family and then went away to the Maldives just me and Jim for 5 days over New Year which was absolute heaven. I am never a big fan of New Year’s Eve itself, but I do love the feeling when I get back to work in a new year and feel all inspired and full of creative energy, ready to make things happen. I started back at work with a bang on January the 6th doing an exciting shoot for one of my favourite beauty brands. It’ll be out next month and I can’t wait for you guys to see the cool stuff we shot. I like to make two lists of goals/resolutions at the beginning of each year – a personal list of goals and a list of goals for work. I thought I would share my personal list with you, but throw in a few of my work goals too (I can’t share many work ones as lots have to do with things I am not yet allowed to share) and hopefully knowing that you guys know them will push me harder to make sure they happen. So anyway, I know it is incredibly clichéd doing the whole ‘new year, new me’ thing, but I like to think I made a lot of progress personally in the last year so this isn’t a completely new me, just an improved and constantly progressing one – if that makes any sense?
Here are my resolutions/goals:
- Don’t use my phone in bed. I feel like I always say this in Get Ready With Me videos, but rarely practise it. I use my phone as my alarm, so I need to have it in the room, but we have a plug socket at the opposite end of our room to our bed, so from now on, I’m going to charge my phone there overnight. That way, when my alarm goes off in the morning, I psychically have to get out of bed to turn it off. However, most importantly, I won’t be scrolling through social media before I go to sleep and first thing when I wake up in the morning.
- Make this the year that I feel amazing (for longer than 2 weeks at a time). This resolution is all about consistency. I know that you guys probably don’t notice the difference (also I probably don’t post photos of myself when I’m not feeling so great), but I am so inconsistent with my diet and exercise. I really enjoy eating healthily and working out, but I also really enjoy indulgent dinners out and spending whole weekends on the sofa watching box sets. I know this is completely normal, but I find I get stuck in one rut or the other (obviously being stuck in the healthy rut isn’t a bad thing haha). I find I’ll be really on track with healthy eating and working out and feeling great and then I will have an over indulgent few days, because of a trip or something and then I’ll come home and find it impossible to get back on track and end up ordering takeaways unnecessarily and ending up feeling rubbish. My goal this year is not to stop indulging when I have amazing opportunities and go away on trips where I want to try all the amazing food etc. but to make sure that when I am at home living my normal every day life, that I’m eating sensibly and not raiding the cupboards for chocolate every 5 minutes or sampling all the restaurants that Deliveroo has to offer. Of course, I love baking on the weekends and a Friday night takeaway with Jim and I don’t want to stop that, I just want to make sure I’m eating healthily the majority of the time. I always get so many lovely comments from you guys about how you envy my body confidence and love that I celebrate my curves and am not afraid to post a bikini photo and I don’t want you to think this is me coming out and saying actually I’m not all that confident and I don’t like my body, because that’s not the case. I just want to feel ready to post a bikini photo or do a photoshoot and wear whatever outfit I like ALL the time, not just on the certain weeks of the year I’ve managed to be consistent with my food and exercise. This isn’t about losing weight (I don’t ever get on the scales), this is about feeling good year round instead of good one week and terrible the next. Although looking a certain way is an important part of my career now that I don’t just do YouTube (I have photoshoots for brands and magazines and am auditioning for acting roles), I’m doing this 100% for me. I feel like I’m 27 now and I want to be feeling confident and happy this year and the best I’ve ever felt. Also, it’s not just about looks for me, when I’m eating healthy and working out I always feel naturally happier, more confident and positive. I am thinking of doing a video soon of a What I Eat In A Day type video if any of you need some motivation and want to eat healthy along with me!
- Interrupt anxiety with gratitude. My friend Poppy told me about this idea and I have found it really works sometimes. I say ‘sometimes’, because sometimes my anxiety will have already spiralled too far out of control, or it just won’t work on a particular occasion, but sometimes it really does work and is such a nice, humbling and clever idea. It’s pretty self explanatory, but basically, when I’m feeling anxious, I will just take a moment to say in my head or out loud 3 things I’m thankful for and this has really helped me a lot.
- Find balance. This was one of my new year’s resolutions last year and I feel like I did manage it for the majority of the year, but I am putting it down again this year as I think it’s so important to remember. I want to make sure I am finding the balance with everything in my life. Obviously with food and working out as I mentioned above, but also a huge one is with working hard and then also chilling out and doing things I enjoy. I want to feel as chilled, happy and carefree as possible this year. I am a terrible over thinker, so I really want to try harder not to over think this year and stay away from doubt. I just want to take things as they come a bit more. I am definitely getting better at this with age, but I still need to work at it.
- Do more good for the world. Our world is a wonderful, but also very scary place, particularly at the moment. Every day I read the news and am deeply saddened to hear of another terrorist attack or refugees starving with no place to go. I definitely want to carry on with my feminist work in 2017 as I learnt so much in 2016, particularly on the trip I went on with ONE campaign to Johannesburg, but I also want to try and help and raise awareness about other issues in the world too as there are so many things I feel passionate about. I feel so lucky to have an audience that are so keen to help, whenever I talk about politics or world issues (like the tragic ongoings in Aleppo recently), you are all so ready to use your voices for good or donate to a certain cause and I just want to say thank you for everything you did last year and let’s do even more this year.
- Be able to run 10k. I can tell you the furthest I have ever run, because I have it logged on my Nike Running App (I’d highly recommend this if you want to get into running). I ran 8k on 29/10/2015. I know that’s a long time ago and all I’ve done since are a couple of 3-5k runs, but I sprained my ankle at the beginning of last year and was only able to jump and run on it again towards the end of last year (aside from when I went to the Justin Bieber concert and jumped repeatedly for about 3 hours, which resulted in a huge setback in my ankle recovery. That was an embarrassing explanation I had to give my physio). This year I want to go on a run, outside, at least once a week and track it on my app and build up to running 10k. I still want to work out in the gym doing squats and lungey and weighty type stuff, but I think this is a good specific goal for me to have. For me, exercise is all about mixing it up, so that’s also a goal of mine this year. I want to do a mixture of working in the gym with a personal trainer, running outside and trying new classes. I also love it when Jim and I do classes together, so I’d love to do more of that.
- Go on a group holiday. I haven’t been on a group holiday since August 2014 and I really want to travel with either my friends or family, somewhere in Europe and all stay in a villa together, perhaps Ibiza. I just think it would be so fun and also I find you always create the best memories on holiday with the people you love. Other travel goals are just to travel as much as I can and blog about it for you guys.
- Get my first and second acting roles. I’m not allowed to say anything specific, but something is definitely happening for me in the acting world in the first half of this year which is SO exciting and I can’t wait until I can share it with you guys. So that is why I’ve written ‘first and second acting roles’, I want to keep auditioning and training and my goal is to have finished working on one project and be starting another by the end of this year. I’ve been having lessons since the beginning of 2015 and I feel very ready to jump into a role now. Fingers crossed!
- Change up my content and challenge myself. I have been making YouTube videos and writing this blog (very occasionally writing this blog!) for over 7 years now and although I am still proud of my content, I would like to push myself a bit more and try some new things. I know theres the saying if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, but this isn’t a case of anything being broken, this is more for me to feel more satisfied with my content and excited by it. If you have any ideas of videos or blog posts you’d love to see this year then please let me know in the comment section of this post.
- Get Tanya Burr Cosmetics more space in store. Last year was absolutely huge for my makeup line and I want to say an enormous thank you to you all for getting excited about new products and being so supportive of the brand. It has been my baby for a good few years now and having your support means the world. This year is going to be the most exciting year yet for Tanya Burr Cosmetics, I have all the 2017 launches planned, including the limited edition Christmas collection (I know, so crazy how far I have to plan in advance!), so I know it’s going to be an incredible year for the brand, but something I would really love is wider distribution and more space in stores so more of you can get hold of the products. That is my goal for this year, my long term goal is to have a Tanya Burr Cosmetics store, how cool would that be?!
So those are my New Year’s Resolutions, sorry if this post got a bit rambley and T.M.I in places! Please let me know in the comments what your New Year’s Resolutions are…
Lots of love,